Executive Sous Chef at Primus Hotel Sydney
Enriched from a family of diverse regional Indian backgrounds, Apoorva Kunte cultivated a fascination for flavours and cooking at a young age, before launching his career with a high-profile appointment at India’s leading hotel chain, Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces.
With now 13 years of world-class experience and global know-how, Apoorva drives culinary innovation as Executive Sous Chef, Primus Hotel Sydney, joining the team in 2017. Apoorva’s impressive host of international appointments include three years at the Taj Mahal Hotel in New Delhi as Sous Chef, Ritz Carlton in Bangalore, The Westin in Dhaka Bangladesh and as Executive Sous chef at the Grand Millennium Hotel, Muscat, Oman.
Renowned for his keen passion and infusion of global flavours, Apoorva continues to accelerate his learning through both travel and formal training, with qualifications in molecular gastronomy, Liquid Nitrogen by chef Martin Lippo, formal training in traditional Italian cuisine, certification from Federazione Italiana Cuochi under Chef Michele D’ Agostino, and training from Felchlin Chocolates on pralines, truffles, pastries, plated desserts and cakes.
With significant exposure to some of the industry’s most prominent names, Apoorva cites his expertise in regional produce and vegetarian dishes in part to working with: three-time ‘James Beard Foundation’ award winner Chef Michel Nichan; highly-acclaimed Chef Allain Passard – the name behind one of France’s 3-Michelin starred restaurants; L’ Arpege, renowned Italian Chef Luciano Parolari, and Paul Bocuse award winner, Chef Geir Skeie.
With his feet planted in Sydney, Apoorva says his ambition is to showcase the very best of seasonal Australian produce, giving back to the local communities and the farmers.
- Hotel Industry Rising Star, Tourism Australia, 2017-2018 – Finalist (yet to be announced)
- Wow Story Award, Ritz Carlton Bangalore, 2014, awarded for exceptional relationships with visiting guests
- Young Hotel Chef of the Year, FHRAI India, 2012 – nominated
- ‘Number 1 Restaurant in Dhaka’ 2015, TripAdvisor – awarded for “Seasonal Tastes” (The Westin, Dhaka) with Apoorva as lead chef
- TIMES Food Award, Best Chinese Restaurant in Bangalore, 2014 – awarded for “The Lantern” (The Ritz Carlton) with Apoorva as lead chef
- National Role Model of the Year, TAJ awards for Business excellence, 2012 – nominated for outstanding contribution towards the Indian hotels company